Friday, September 19, 2008

Sweet Grandma!

The whole gang!

My sweet grandmother Louise Olivia Bess passed last week peacefully in her home. I was able to attend her funeral in my hometown of McAllen, Texas. My brother Lance and two sisters Kim and Courtney were able to be there as well. For all the tears we cried we laughed that much more. It was a difficult to meet under those circumstances, but we had a great time together. There were moments that I will never forget, and will treasure always.



One of the hightlights of our trip was visiting the LDS chapel we grew up attending. Do smells bring back memories for you? They do for me. This chapel has a smell like no other building I have ever been in, so when my sister opened the gym door I knew I was back home to my childhood. WOW!!! I took a trip down memory lane.
La Vista Chapel in McAllen

baptismal font where I was baptized

We also looked at picture albums, ate great Mexican food, and had a great homecooked roast. Some of my nieces and nephew were there as well. It was fantastic to see them.

It rained really hard at Grandma's funeral, and I mean bucket fulls. My dad mentioned in her ulogy that when it rains at a funeral that person becomes a saint. I don't know if that is true, but my Grandma was a saint while she was on the earth, and I look forward to seeing her again one day.
Grandma left behind her sweetheart of 64 years. Not very many men in this world would be helping the women in his life do the dished 2 days after the love of his life has passed away. That is the kind of person my Grandpa is. He was so kind to us while we were there despite all of his suffering. I love my Grandpa with all of my heart, and I have a constant prayer in my heart in his behalf. There really is a special place in heaven for grandparents.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really sweet, Amber. I'm crying (I know, no big shocker). You know this, but I lost my Grandpa last December, and Grandma two year prior to that. I miss them both so much, but am also very much aware that they still live. The Gospel is amazing like that. I'm glad you were able to go home for that. I know it was a special time for you, and yes, smells can absolutely bring forth memories. I'll pray for your Grandpa. Watching my Grandpa for the two years after Grandma died was gut-wrenching. They, too, had been married for 65 years and had been together since they were 15. Thanks for the tender post.

Anonymous said...

Amber,

This is such a sweet post. I know how much grandmothers can mean to a girl. You were really blessed to have her in your life. The picture of your grandfather doing dishes touched my heart too. I am sure that he will miss his sweetheart.
I know what you mean about a building's smells bringing back childhood memories, that is how I feel when I go home to my Stake Center in El Paso.

Wardell Family said...

Amber,
That was so sweet about your Grandma. I am close to mine too and I know it won't be long...Thank heavens for grandmothers and their sweet examples. What a special one you have! It is so good to know we will be seeing them again one day. Your blog is adorable and I love the pics of your cute lil baby and family! You are an awesome girl!
Love, Amber

Sarah said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma's passing. I'm glad you got to go to McAllen. The pictures of our old church brought back so many memories of going to Primary/YW with you and Aly! It is sad to me because now that my parents have moved, I don't know if I'll ever go back. I hope to someday to show my kids where their mom grew up.

Bear of Very Little Brain said...

Amber, I'm sorry to hear about your grandma passing away! I loved reading about your time in McAllen, and your wonderful Grandpa and seeing your brother and sisters and everyone! Thanks for the pictures and I'm sorry - I know you have both sweet and sad feelings and memories. Lots of love, Natalie

Eric and Amy said...

So sorry to hear about her passing. It's never easy, but it sounds like her passing was a great opportunity for the family to get together. What a neat reunion to see the special place you grew up.

Love the blog changes by the way. Gorgeous!

Yvonne said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I loved seeing all the McAllen pictures. It brought so many mission memories back. I can't believe how your extended family has grown. You all look great! I can't believe you have 4 boys!

Lisa said...

I lost my sweet, perfect Grammie over a year ago and everyday feels like the first day without her. I am sorry for your loss.

Weekend of fun

Three plus one equals 4 and grandma

Three plus one equals 4 and grandma
Landon, Xander, Collin, Quinn and Grandma Bess